Thursday, August 28, 2014

Oobleck!

What is Oobleck? Things got pretty messy today as we tried to figure out what state of matter it is. Please answer the following two questions:

  • Based on your observations, what state of matter is Oobleck and why? You will need to explain your thinking.
  • Can you think of any other type of matter that is similar to Oobleck? Tell us the matter and why you think it is similar.
Your answers will be made as comment. Don't forget to log in so your comment will be posted. 

25 comments:

  1. Ooblack is mostly liqid. It acts more like a liquid than solid because It can be poured and does not have a spicific shape.But it could be a solid too because If you squeeze the Ooblack hard it feels like solid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think oobleck is a solid solution because you can squeeze it, bounce it, and if you poke it very fast your finger does not go through. Probably the closest I can get is thinking of "leite moca" because of it's color and texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michel it cant go through it because it is in a container!!!

      Delete
  3. The oobleck is a liquid and when you start touching it is a solid but when you stop it turns out it is a liquid. Mashed potatoes are kind of looks like solid and feels like it to instead its more softer so it is a liquid

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its a solid because it is hard but it really looks like a liquid

    ReplyDelete
  5. The oobleck is a liquid because if you keep your hand opened it will fall of and it takes the shape of the container and if it falls it does not have a shap but it king of gets together and we can move our finger in a circle while we are touching the oobleck and it is king of gross.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think ooblek its a solid because it is very hard and when I put in my hand it turns in liquid but I think its both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Ana, because it's a solid & a liquid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manoush,
      What other evidence do you have?

      Delete
    2. Other evidence I have is that on my paper, it shows the oobleck as more of a solid than a liquid, when my table ran our tests

      Delete
  8. I think oobleck is mostly a liquid but it is a solid as well because if you squeeze it and roll it, it turns into a shape of a sphere and when it is a liquid because when you scoop it, it drips back into the bowl of oobleck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oobleck is solid if you touch fast and it's liquid when you touch slow.No I can't of any matter that's simallar to oobleck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with most comments but I would like to add that oobleck is a solution made of a solid and a liquid so it fits both depending in your observations and criteria. Well with my observations I would say it is more a solid. But if you say it is a liquid I do not disagree with you. Oobleck reminds me of leite moca and a little bit like play dough with water.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry, I ment to say that I agree with Lucas

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In my opinion the ooblick its a liquid because the shape changes and if your hold it
    in yor hands it drips
    But ooblick its different from the other liquids because when you touché it , your hand does not get wet

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think and countinue thinking that the obleck was very very liquid and it takes and it changes shape easily it is alot gooey but it was a very good thing to do it and it was very very intresting even t touch it also do not stay on the real shape of a thing you can´´t realy feel it becaus it is alittle bit like water it can be squeezed but it is alittle bit hard when dry it also slows your finger when you slow finger poke just like quick sand it bouces and do splash but just a tiny little miny bit almost just like water.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oobleck is a solid because you can hold it if it is not in a cup or bowl

    ReplyDelete
  16. According to our experience I think that Oobleck is a solid for one side and a liquid for the other (50% solid, 50% liquid).
    One of my reasons for it to be a liquid is that when we poured the Oobleck from one container to another it moved slowly but it continues being a liquid.
    Two of my reasons for it to be a solid is that it bounces and when you poke your finger, does not go through it. One thing that is similar to the Oobleck is the taco because when you touch the Oobleck it is liquid then after 30 seconds it beguns turning in to a solid ( it dries) .
    The taco is similar to the Oobleck because when is poured in to “oven” it is a liquid then after one minute it beguns turning in to a solid.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Oobleck is smooth it is also hard and soft. The Oobleck can be liquid, it can also be solid. When I got it it was hard but when it was in my hand it was soft and smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OObleck for me is something that you mostly for since and experiments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And ooblek is asolid because it is dry and alittle wet.

      Delete
  19. Something that is solid or liquid.If you poke your finger fast its solid if you poke it slow its liquid.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to check your spelling, grammar, punctuation and capitalization!