Friday, August 28, 2015

Humanities: Narrative Rubric and Student Exemplars

Guiding Question: How do writers tell powerful stories? 

5th grade writers have been working on creating, writing, and developing powerful narrative stories. And this is no easy task! We are challenging students to take their writing to a whole new level.

This week, writers read a variety of student exemplars, and using the rubric, they evaluated the effectiveness of each exemplar. They now have a clear understanding of the grade-level expectations. Please review the rubric and read the student exemplars.
Writers went back into their own work and continued developing the hearts of their stories. They are adding character thoughts, feelings, and dialogue; actions, sensory details, and figurative language. Please read your child's work, (located in their google drive or in their writer's notebook) and talk to him/her about their writing.


Grade 5: Narrative Writing Rubric


Progressing
Proficient (Grade 5)
Exceeding
Overall
W.3, W.4
I wrote the important part of an event bit by bit and took out unimportant parts.
I wrote a story of an important moment. It read like a story, even though it might be a true account.
I wrote a story that had tension, resolution, and realistic characters and conveyed an idea or lesson.
Lead
W.3, W.4
I wrote a beginning in which I showed what was happening and where, getting readers into the world of the story.
I wrote a beginning in which I not only showed what was happening, and where, but also gave some clues to what would later become a problem for the main character.
I wrote a beginning in which I not only set the plot or story in motion, but also hinted at the larger meaning the story would convey
Transitions
W.3, W.4
I showed how much time went by with words and phrases that mark time such as just then and suddenly (to show when things happened quickly) or after a while and a little later (to show when a little time passed).
I used transitional phrases to show passage of time in complicated ways perhaps by showing things happening at the same time (meanwhile, at the same time) or flashback & flashforward (early that morning, three hours later)
I used transitional phrases to connect what happened to why it happened such as if I hadn’t...I might not have..., because of..., although... , and little did I know that...
Ending
W.3, W.4
I wrote an ending that connected with the beginning or middle of the story.


I used action, dialogue, or feeling to bring my story to a close.
I wrote an ending that connected to the main part of the story. The characters said, did, or realized something at the end that came from what happened in the story.


I gave readers a sense of closure.
I wrote an ending that connected to what the story was really about.


I gave readers a sense of closure by showing a new realization, insight, or change in a character or narrator.
Organization
W.3, W.4
I used paragraphs to separate the different parts or times of the story or to show when a new character was speaking.
I used paragraphs to separate different parts or times of the story and to show when a new character was speaking. Some parts of the story were longer and more developed than others.
I used paragraphs purposefully, perhaps to show time or setting changes, new parts of the story, or to create suspense for readers. I created a sequence of events that was clear
Elaboration
W.3, W.4, L.3
I added more to the heart of my story, including not only actions and dialogue but also thought and feelings.
I developed characters, setting, and plot throughout my story, especially the heart of the story. To do this, I used a blend of description, action, dialogue, and thinking.
I developed realistic characters, and developed the details, action, dialogue, and internal thinking that contributed to the deeper meaning of the story.
Craft
W.3, W.4, L.3
I showed why characters did what they did by including their thinking.
I showed why characters did what they did by including their thinking and their responses to what happened.
I developed character traits, emotions through their actions. I developed relationships among characters to show their motivation. I told the internal and external story.
I made some parts of the story go quickly, some slowly.
I slowed down the heart of the story I made less important parts shorter and less detailed and blended storytelling with summary.
I chose key parts to stretch out. I wove together precise descriptions, figurative language, and symbolism to help readers picture the plot.
I included precise and sometimes sensory details and used figurative language (simile, metaphor, personification) to bring my story to life.


I used a storytelling voice and showed emotion or tone of my story through description, phrases, dialogue, and thoughts.
I included precise details and used figurative language so that readers could picture.


I varied my sentences to create the pace and tone of my narrative.
I varied my sentences to create the pace and tone of my narrative and to engage my readers. I used language that fit my story’s meaning, (Parts that had dialogue, different characters used different kinds of language).
Spelling
W.5, L.2
The writer used what he/she knew about word families and spelling rules to help him/her spell and edit. She used the word wall and dictionaries when needed.
The writer used what he knew about word families and spelling rules to help him/her spell and edit. He/she used the word wall and dictionaries when needed.
The writer used resources to be sure the words in his/her writing were spelled correctly.
Punctuation
W.5, L.2
When writing long, complex sentences, the writer uses commas to make them clear and correct.
The writer used commas to set off introductory parts of sentences, such as One day at the park, I went on the slide; he/she also used commas to show talking directly to someone, such as Are you mad, Mom?
The writer used punctuation to help set a mood, convey meaning, and/or build tension in his/her story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to check your spelling, grammar, punctuation and capitalization!